Printers are, no doubt, essential tools for both offices and businesses. They help to churn out amazing prints for a variety of documents and photos- and that forms their primary goal. Some models can as well perform other tasks such as copying, faxing, and scanning.
The best options guarantee astounding print quality. However, sometimes these machines develop a mind of their own. They may make decisions on your behalf on the kind of quality that they deliver.
You are probably here because you tried printing a photo or document, and it looked short of what you see in the soft copy. So how to improve print quality?
Don’t fret! That’s not an irreversible situation. We will help you improve it. But firstly, what causes low-quality prints?
Why Can’t My Printer Produce High-Quality Prints?
That's the big question for the day. We will not only answer it but also provide the most viable solutions to this disturbing quiz. You see, the question on low-quality printouts is two-sided.
Firstly, a few printing machines will produce an average or low-quality printout on the first attempt. If you conducted your research pretty well before your purchase and you believe that the device can do better than that, then it is all about the settings. Default settings are often eco-friendly to save on power and ink.
Secondly, a machine may be great from the onset but fall short after a while. Such problems may arise from issues to do with settings, hardware malfunctions, software malfunctions, resolution settings, incorrect speed, and color saturation settings.
Common Printing Problems
Look, quality printouts often take several forms. Some are easy to see while some are not. Again, your experience may be different from the see of your next-door neighbor. But still, both are less than stellar.
The following are some of the most common problems related to low quality;
Too Faint Output
Graphics and texts that are barely visible fall under faint print output. Blurred but faded printouts also characterize print output that is too faint. The most common causes of such issues include clogged printer head, low ink levels, or dry toners.
Smudging and Blurring
Photo artists feel the heat when every photo smudges or appears blurry. The problem diminishes the likable appeal in pictures. Besides, it doesn't give life to real-time images.
Often, colors may come out missing or inaccurate. Such a problem always leads to a result that looks nothing like the original image. Multiple reasons may lead to this. Notably, low ink levels, damaged cartridges, and missing drivers are the primary culprits.
Call it banding or malalignment; this issue is characterized by content with ghosting effects. Printouts appear misaligned with horizontal and vertical artifacts.
Improving Print Quality Of Your Printer
Some of the issues mentioned above are pretty easy to solve. While you may need a qualified technician to help solve the problems. The following are possible solutions to help you improve the print quality of your machine;
1. Adjust Settings
Well, you can choose to either change printer settings for the current print alone or update the default settings for your printer. The latter applies to all prints going forward. As you probably know, the default settings of a printing machine are often low on quality to save on ink.
What are the two popular ways to change settings?
- Change The Speed- All printing machines have an optimal print rate. However, the speed will always vary within a given range. Increasing the speed minimizes color saturation. It reduces bleeding and warping. In turn, it helps to correct the blurring or smudging aspect.
- On the flip side, lower speeds help to increase color saturation. Such a measure helps to sold faded or washed out images.
- Change The Resolution- Your printer’s control panel has the “Print” menu. The resolution of a printing tool determines the quality of your texts and images. It is often measured in dots per inch (dpi). A higher the dpi denotes more astounding the results when it comes to quality. Changing the dpi has a dramatic effect on print quality.
2. General Maintenance Practices
Adhering to the general maintenance best practices for your printing machine is an essential step to producing high-quality prints. They also help to improve the lifespan of your device. We also discuss this aspect elsewhere on this website.
While there is an endless list of best practices, we will prioritize on the following;
- Use High-Resolution Files- While the print resolution is an essential consideration, the resolution of the original file is equally vital. Look it up and change it to the highest from your PC or any other content device.
- Recommend Supplies- Good printers will do pretty fine with all types of paper and aftermarket inks. However, it gets to a point when a machine begins to misbehave. This will most often occur when using papers and cartridges that are not recommended by the manufacturer. Stick to recommended options to sort out related problems.
- Turn Off- We understand that there are printmakers with automatic auto turn on and turn off feature. These are perfectly convenient. However, there is a need to keep your machine turned off while idle. This action helps to keep your print heads protected from debris and dust.
- Alignment Of Print Head And Cartridge- This is an automated feature and should not be an issue. Check it out on the control panel.
- Clean Print Heads- Try as much as possible to clean the print heads of the machine regularly. When you do this, you clear clogged print heads and blocked nozzles. The process is automatic, natural, and straightforward. You can access the feature from the control panel.
3. Software, Drivers, And Hardware Upgrade
Printer memory, software, and drivers make up the engine of a printer. Confirm from the manufacturer website if there are any upgrades. Some printers will also provide you with an update. If there are, then download and install appropriately.
The dream for most professionals is to produce high-quality photos and documents. We are confident that you share a similar desire.
It is worth noting that the key to excellent production lies in the maintenance and care of your printing machine. Now you know how to improve print quality, we hope you’ll be able to yield impeccable performance from your printer.