With the advancement of technology and civilization, identity theft has become a concerning issue.Shredding away personal and confidential documents is an excellent way of recycling and preventing identity theft.
You don’t just want to throw away your intact personal documents like receipts, tax documents, bank statements, paycheck stubs, etc. If the thieves get their hands on your personal information, they can misuse it for their own benefit.
So, it’s best to stay alert and shred documents that might contain sensitive info like social security numbers, employment history. Financial transactions, credit information; these types of confidential information are nothing to play with. That’s why they need secure shredding.
If you own a home office, you already know the applications of paper shredder in regular life. Are you confused about which shredder to buy? With our guide and reviews, you can easily choose the best paper shredder for home use.
list of Paper Shredder for Home Use
Best Paper Shredder for Home Use Reviews
1. AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder | Best Home Document Shredder
- Cross-cut shred size: turns paper into small confetti-like pieces measuring 3/16 by 1-27/32 inches (5 by 47 mm); meets security level P-3 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys credit cards (one at a time)
The Amazon Basics 8sheet cross-cut shredderis one of the finest for home shredding. The performance is surprisingly solid for its affordable price range.
It comes with a sheet capacity of 8 at a time.As you can see, it is small in capacity and size. So, it would be a great fit for home users who shred occasionally.
You don’t need to worry about the paper clips or staples attached to your documents. This shredder can easily take care of those hard objects. It also offers credit card shredding (one at a time) with a dedicated slot.
Its maximum runtime is 3 minutes, while the cooling down takes around 30 minutes. It features an overheating LED so that you can easily have an eye on your shredder’s health.
For uninturrupted cross-cutting speed, you are recommended to shred 2-4 sheets at a time. Trying all 8 sheets at a time might cause jamming and overheating.
It follows P3 security level shredding, so you don’t need to worry about your personal info getting in the hand of some bad people. It shreds pieces diagonally, and the stripped pieces measure 3/16 by 1-27/32 inches.
1. Cross-cut shredder with 8 sheet capacity.
2. The bin size is 4.1 gallons.
3. Runtime 3 minutes.
4. Cool down time 30 minutes.
5. The shredding security level is P3.
2. AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper, CD and Credit Card Home Office Shredder | Best Home Office Paper Shredder
- Strip-cut shred size: turns paper into 1/4-inch-wide strips at a rate of 9.84 feet per minute; meets security level P-2 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 8 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys CDs, DVDs, and credit cards (one at a time, through dedicated...
This machine is a beast in its category. It’s a strip-cut shredder, an excellent fit for home offices.
This shredder can destroy credit cards, CDs, DVDs. It features a dedicated CD/DVD slot and also slots for credit cards. You just simply need to insert the disc into the slot (one disc at a time) and press the button. CD/ DVDs are shredded into 4 pieces.
It can shred multi-page documents without needing to remove the staples or clips. The sheet capacity is 8 pieces maximum, but you should try 3-4 at a time to keep the whole process smooth.
The most exciting feature of this shredder is its manual reverse tech. If the paper jams accidentally inside the shredder, the reverse mode helps you manually pull out the clots easily. The auto mode starts when it detects anything being inserted into the feed.
It can continuously run for 3 minutes and then need a cooling session of about 15 minutes. If you exceed the maximum running time, the shredder will overheat and stop automatically. It’s very efficient to save the motor in the long run.
It comes with a 3.4-gallon waste bin to store the shredded paper. There’s another exciting feature, as well. You can simply remove the top then stretch it out a bit to fit your preferred waste receptacle.
1. 8-sheet multi-page strip-cut shredder.
2. It can destroy CD, DVD and credit card.
3. Reverse mode to clear the jam.
4. It can shred stapled document.
3. AmazonBasics 6-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder | Best Small Shredder for Home
- Cross-cut shred size: turns paper into small confetti-like pieces measuring 0.2 by 1.9 inches (5.6 by 47 mm); meets security level P-3 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 6 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys credit cards (one at a time)
This AmazonBasics 6-Sheet Cross-Cutis a tiny powerhouse considering its size. It’s a great fit for homeowner’s regular and small shredding.
Even though its size is small, don’t get confused about whether it gets the job done. It can rip through almost 60 sheets per minute.
Small stack of papers, newspapers, old magazines, junk mails, and personal documents are ideal for this 6-sheet cross-cut shredder.As designed for small usage, it struggles with thicker sheets.
Its cross-cut ensures the security of your sensitive shredded documents. If you are a frequent shredder and not willing to pay much for a shredder, this one is an ideal choice for you.
It can run for 2 minutes continuously and the cooling down period is 30 minutes. It comes with a 3.4-gallon bin to store enough ripped strips in one go. It can also shred credit cards (one at a time).
The size is very convenient for storing the shredder at home. It measures 15x 12.1 x 7.7 inches, so you can fit it in almost any corner of the house.
Another great feature is you can use most kinds of oils as the shredder’s lubricant. Cars oil is not recommended, but even vegetable oil can do the job. Just be careful not to spill way too much.
1) 6-sheet capacity cross-cut home shredder.
2) The run time is 2 minutes.
3) 8.7’’ large sheet feed.
4) Auto thermal shutdown feature.
5) Manual reverse mode to handle paper jam.
6) Can shred credit card.
4) AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder | Best Heavy Duty Home Shredder
- Cross-cut shred size: turns paper into small confetti-like pieces measuring 3/16 by 1-9/16 inches (5 by 40 mm); meets security level P-3 standards
- Sheet capacity: shreds up to 12 sheets of 20-pound bond paper at a time (no need to remove staples or small paper clips); also destroys credit cards (one at a time)
If your home office shredding needs are more than 8 sheets capacity, it’s time for an upgrade. AmazonBasics 12 Sheet Cross-CutPaper and Credit Card Home Office Shredder is a 12-sheet capacity shredder for heavier use. It’s a real successor of its previous small capacity versions.
It comes with a large 4.8-gallon wastebasket. The bin is practically weighed nothing while the shredder part on its top feels pretty heavy. You can feel it when you lift up the shredder part and look at the blades. They are made tough to do the heavy-duty job.
This 12-sheet cross-cut shredder can handle a few inches thick documents pretty well. It doesn’t matter if they are stapled or not. The machine will chew through it. As always, its recommended not to use the full sheet capacity of the shredder.
This giant can run up to seven minutes while it cools down at 30 minutes. The 8.7-inch feed can manage different sizes of papers. The shredded papers measured 7/32 x 1-9/16 inches, so it makes sure no information is readable.
It features an auto sensor start when papers are fed into the shredder. The manual reverse back button handles any kind of paper jam inside the shredder.
Auto thermal protection off feature prevents the motors from overheating. Lift handle make it easy as pie to lift the shredder-head.
1. 12-sheet capacity cross-cut home office shredder.
2. Can destroy credit cards.
3. 7 minutes runtime with 30 minutes to cool down.
4. Manual anti-jam button.
5. Auto start and an auto-shutdown feature.
5. AmazonBasics 12 Sheet Cross-Cut Paper/CD/ Credit Card Shredder | Best Home Office Shredder
- Cross-cut paper shredder with 12-sheet capacity; destroys credit cards, CDs and DVDs (one at a time)
- Shreds paper into cross section strips measuring 7/32 by 2-5/32 inches
The AmazonBasics 12 Sheet Cross-Cut Paper/CD/ Credit Card Shredder is a heavy-duty multi performer home office cross-cut shredder. If your home office produces lots of junk files, transaction bills copy, mails,and CD/DVDs and needs regular heavy shredding, this one will do the job.
This cross-cut shredder can shred bundle of documents upto 12 sheets. Also features unique and dedicated CD, DVD slots to destroy old scratchy, half-ruined CD/DVD or credit card.
It is pretty durable compared to its heavy-duty application and comes with an affordable price tag. You can fix any jam as it featuresa manual reverse button. It has a warning system if your shredder head misaligns from the waste bucket.
Also, check the heat temperature to prevent any kind of overheating issue. Just cool it down for 30 minutes, and you are ready to use it again.
The comfortable lift handle allows you to open up the motor to empty the waste bin. This shredder does its job without making any irritating sound. You will be surprised with quieter sorrounding even when it doesreally heavy jobs.
1. Paper/CD/Credit card shredder with 12-sheet capacity.
2. Runs simultaneously for 5 minutes. Takes 30 minute to cool down.
3. Auto shutoff feature to check thermal protection.
4. Featured with a 4.8-gallon waste bin.
5. Auto-on feature with a manual reverse button to remove clogs.
Paper Shredder for Home Use Buying Guide
1.Security and Types of Shredder
Based on how secure your documents are and how often you need to shred, there are generally 3 types of shredders are available: cross-cut, strip-cut and micro-Cut.
Strip-cuts are typically used for a bulk amount of shredding and are less secure. Cross-cuts and Micro-cuts are for home and office uses and more secure.
Strip-cuts are less secure for sensitive data because they shred in long strips spaghetti shapes. Cross-cuts offer secure and smaller particle shape cuts. Micro-cuts are the most reliable as they provide confetti sized particles cut.
Shredder's security levels are based on their cut sizes. There are 7 levels of security for shredders. From DIN P1 to P7. The higher the number, the smaller the cuts are, and the more secure they are.
P1 and P2 are strip-cut security level, and then P3 and P4 are usually cross-cut shredder’s range. The most secure levels are P5, P6, and P7. Micro-cuts are ranged in P5 to P7 levels.
Considering the level of your document’s sensitivity, you need to choose which level of secure shredder you need. From regular personal documents and home office, it's recommended to choose a cross-cut or micro-cut shredder.
2. What Materials Do You Want to Shred?
Of course,the main application of a paper shredder is shredding papers. But sometimes you might want to shred some credit cards, paperclips, stapled documents, even CD, DVD discs.
The most shredder can handle one or two staples or paperclips. But if you want to shred hard objects like credit cards, discs, multiple stapled documents then you should be careful.
Look for the best home use paper shredder that comes with features to destroy hard objects like these. Some shredder even comes with dedicated slots for cards and compacts discs for more convenience.
3. Sheet Capacity
The number of documents a shredder can pass at a single time is called sheet capacity. A basic shredder can processa 5-10 regular A4 size sheet at a time. Higher-end models can deal with a larger stack of sheets.
Always remember to put one or two fewer sheets than the capacity number in the shredder. It makes the shredder cause fewer jams and enables a long working life.
4. Run Time
Shredders have limitations in sheet capacity, bin size and run time.
The run time indicates how long a shredder can continuously shred documents at a stretch. Basic shredder can run for a couple of minutes, and industrial-grade shredder can run for an hour or more.
The shredder motor needed to cool down to prevent overheating. It can be up to 30 minutes or less, depending on the shredder’s capacity.
So, as a home user, you can choose between 3 minutes to 10 minutes, while 5 minutes considered ideal.
5. Bin Size
If you are comfortable with emptying the bin over and over again, then the smaller bin is no trouble.
The larger the bin size, the large amount of wastepaper it can hold. So, choose based on how frequently you shred paper and dispose of them.
Recycling old and obsolete documents with a shredder is the safest way to recycle. But Choosing the right paper shredder for home use can be confusing with so many options. We hope this article helped you to choose the best home paper shredder of your need.