More and more people are moving away from cabinet filing to digitize how they conduct business. If you also feel the need to no longer cram folders into drawers, then your answer lies in the best OCR scanners.
You see, document scanners go beyond your ordinary scanning machine. They can perform tasks involving the basic scanning of images. But more enticingly, OCR scanning devices enable scanning and conversion of texts into searchable, editable word processing documents.
The inclusion of Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software ensures that these devices perform this function and many others. OCR readers are now readily available, unlike 6 or 7 years ago. Moreover, you can acquire a perfectly functional model at an incredibly favorable price.
We understand the fact that shopping for the ideal machine is a difficult undertaking. It is for that reason that we assist you through this tedious process. Hopefully, reading through our buying guide and select product reviews will help you make an informed decision. Good luck!!
list of top OCR Scanner
OCR Scanner Reviews
1. Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i Duplex Document Scanner | Best Portable OCR Scanner
- Organize your paperwork in a breeze - create searchable, multi-page PDFs with the click of a button ; Scan to editable Word and Excel files
- Double sided color scanning with 10 page automatic document feeder (ADF). Scan receipts, business cards, extra long pages, and more
Scanning documents has never been more accurate, thanks to Fujitsu's high-end portable scanner. The latest version of the ScanSnap S1300i scanning device comes with remarkable improvements over its predecessor.
The device presents you with a pristine opportunity to organize your paperwork. Well, the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i document scanner scans your documents to create searchable PDF files with a simple click on a button.
More conveniently, this is an ideal piece of equipment if you need to convert paperwork into editable Excel and Word files. The ABBYY OCR software helps you to achieve this function. The software also allows intelligent scanning. This includes the removal of blank pages, cropping and deskew functions, as well as auto color detection.
Its simplicity enables scanning and saving of receipts, business cards, contracts, and other documents. Again, it's an automatic document feeder type scanner. Its versatility allows compatibility with a range of paper sizes.
The scanning tool is not only about the sleek, compact design that you see on the hardware. Instead, it features fantastic features for reliable functionality. The ScanSnap S1300i scanner is considerably a fast machine at 12 double pages per minute. Moreover, it features a resolution of up to 600dpi and automatic feeding capabilities of up to 10 sheets.
The device offers a limitless range of options when it comes to connectivity. It does well with both Mac and PC. Again, you can scan and send your documents directly to Cloud-based applications.
1. It delivers up to 12 double pages for monochrome scanning.
2. The intuitive software allows direct scanning to desktop and cloud.
3. It's a lightweight and portable scanner.
4. The illuminated single scan button enables quick operation.
2. HP ScanJet Pro 2500 f1 Flatbed OCR Scanner | Best HP OCR Scanner
- Speeds: Achieve scan speeds up to 20 pages per minute, 40 images per minute, and 1,500 pages per day with single-pass, 2-sided scanning to help automate workflows
- Auto document feeder: Load up to 50 pages for fast, unattended scanning
There's no better machine when you want to digitize your office or business operations than the HPScanJetPro2500f1FlatbedOCRScanner. The device undercuts most of the high-end models on price but compares competitively on vital features and specifications.
Firstly, it features an excellent scan speed of up to 20 pages per minute on a dpi of 300. However, that's not to say that 300dpi is the highest the device allows. Instead, it features a maximum of 600dpi. We can't say that it's a massive resolution but good enough for office and business operations.
Again, it features dual sensors to capture both sides of the document in a single pass. Potentially, it can achieve 40 images per minute. It is an essential machine for an automated workflow with an ability to produce up to 1,500 pages in one day.
Do you enjoy unattended scanning? If your answer is yes, then this is a device you should consider purchasing. It features auto document feeder functions. More conveniently, it features up to 50-page loading capacity. The feature is ideal for fast duplex document scanning.
More lucrative features of this scanner include auto-cropping, automatic page size detection, and exposure. Finally, the fact that it can handle a range of paper types and paper sizes creates more convenience. It functions perfectly for small and medium businesses that are cautious about speed and quality.
1. It features a scanning speed of up to 20 pages per minute.
2. The device can scan government, finance, and academic documents.
3. It has both I.R.IS Readiris and IRIS Cardiris OCR software.
4. It features a 50-page ADF loading capacity.
3. Scanmarker Air Pen Scanner | Best Handheld OCR Scanner
- Create summaries faster than ever before; just slide your handheld scanning pen across a line of printed text and watch it appear instantly on the screen
- Super accurate and fast multilingual ocr text scanner ideal for students and professionals in the library, office or on the go
The Scanmarker Air Pen is an ideal device for people who like efficiency. But more importantly, this ultra-lightweight, ultra-portable device goes beyond your ordinary scanner to perform a range of unimaginable functions.
Firstly, it is a handheld scanning device. It works by sliding it over any line of printed text. The text instantly appears on the screen of your Mac, or PC, thanks to a patented technology that delivers not only accurate but also realtime results. It is, therefore, an essential device for quoting and sharing Excel and word reports.
Students, librarians, teachers, doctors, researchers, and lawyers will find this device worth investing in. This is because the tool creates editable Word and Excel scans 30 times faster than manual typing. So, if speed is of essence to you, then think Scanmarker Air Pen Scanner. You can accompany your report with small black and white images.
It exceeds the features of your everyday OCR scanner. The device provides reading functions, hence the tag, reading pen!
The device features a read-aloud capability that helps you hear the text aloud. So, as you scan to your computer, laptop, or smartphone device, you get to memorize and understand the text.
It even gets better that the little scanning machine effortlessly provides translation options. You can, therefore, enjoy the translation go and from over50foreign languages. And finally, there's no better OCR digital highlighter for barcodes than the Scanmarker Air Pen!
1. Small, convenient, and portable device.
2. It provides multifunction features that include scanning, reading, and translation.
3. It can efficiently scan more than 3000 characters per minute.
4. It scans texts of up to 4-24 pt.
4. Brother Image Center ADS-2700W Document Scanner | Best OCR Scanner For Mac
- VERSATILE CONNECTIVITY: The Brother Wireless desktop color scanner permits users to connect via Ethernet, wireless, or high speed USB 2.0
- 2. 8″ COLOR TOUCHSCREEN: The LCD display offers one touch scanning to preset destinations and device settings to expedite scanning functions. Wireless network security is up 64/128 bit, WPA/psk...
If you are looking for efficiency, versatility, and quality in a single device, then the Brother Wireless High-Speed Desktop Document Scanner is what you are looking for. It offers unrivaled speed, quality, and convenience.
It captures up to 35 pages per minute of single and duplex scanning. The speed is a good integration to the workflow of small and medium-sized businesses. Moreover, offices with favorably high workloads will also find the device irreplaceable.
The Brother Image Center ADS-2700W Scanner is a multipurpose document. It scans double and single page documents. The feature makes it an excellent tool for handling legal and business documents. More versatility comes in the fact that it scans documents with lengths of up to 196 inches. Besides, you'll find it indispensable when you need to scan photos, plastic ID cards, receipts, and business cards.
It features an interpolated resolution of up to 1200dpi. On the other hand, the optical resolution stands at a commendable 600dpi. The resolutions are sufficient for the scanning and recreation of high-quality documents.
The inclusion of a unique package of software makes the tool the right piece of equipment for image optimization. It excellently gets rid of the background, provides multi-feed detection, and removes blank pages.
1. It features a 2.8-inch color touchscreen for easy use.
2. It has an optical resolution of up to 600dpi.
3. It effortlessly creates editable, searchable files from scans.
4. The device is compatible with a range of accessories, including Mac.
5. HP ScanJet Pro 3000 s3 OCR Scanner | Best OCR Document Scanner
- Key features of this desktop scanner: TWAIN compliant, sheet-feed scan, 2-sided scanning that captures both sides at once, 50-page automatic document feeder, scan to cloud, scan to email, USB 3.0...
- Fast scan speed up to 35 pages/min, up to 600-dpi resolution for clear and legible document scans, recommended for 3,500 pages/day
HP is a renown company in the manufacturing of efficient office equipment. The company's HPScanJetPro3000s3OCRScanner helps you to streamline all your routine work into one-touch scanning.
Probably, the most lucrative feature of this scanning machine is the inclusion of a robust document scanning software. The unique software has three distinctive features. It fixes your document into the right position, enhances quality properties, and optimizes scan details. In turn, this produces highly professional scans.
The Pro 3000 s3 perfectly scans a variety of document types and sizes. Besides, it can scan A3 documents minus a carrier sheet. It is this versatility that makes the machine arguably the most detailed document scanner in the market today.
You see, the machine is not all talk without performance. The inclusion of exciting properties makes the device a performance freak! It features a remarkable speed of up to 35 pages per minute, an optical resolution of up to 600dpi, and a tempting ADF capacity of up to 50 sheets. What else do you need in an exceptional document scanner?
As we wind up, it is essential to note that the device features superb connectivity and sharing features. The manufacturer deploys the efficient USB 3.0 connection. Besides, you can share images directly to cloud-based apps such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and SharePoint.
1. Excellent optical resolution guarantees the quality of scans.
2. It features an excellent speed of up to 35 pages per minute.
3. It guarantees onetime duplex scanning.
4. The device is easy to set up and use.
5. It is compact and occupies a little space.
Buying Guide For OCR Scanning Machines
Now that you have set your mind on a new scanner, it is essential that you know and understand the features that set various models apart.
A. Data Capture Or Text Input
OCR reading machines come in two general classifications; text input or data input. Usually, the text input type of scanners can scan the whole document. Their primary advantage is their ability to scan more significant portions of documents.
On the other hand, the programming of data capture scanning machines enables them to scan repetitive data on a document reliably. Moreover, they will also superbly perform formatting tasks.
B. Optical Resolution
Another critical factor to consider when shopping for an OCR scanner is the optical resolution. Optical resolution measurements are always taken in dots per inch and abbreviated as dpi. It is the number of pixels a device can capture.
Often, this number sets machines apart in terms of quality and accuracy — the higher the number, the better the machine. While most scanners have variable optical resolution settings, consider a device with a high maximum resolution.
c. Color Depth
Also known as bit depth, this feature is the amount of information or data that a device captures in a single pixel. A higher bit depth guarantees a better recording of color gradations.
So, a higher color depth translates into the ability of the device to record and store larger files accurately. Several models have color depths that go up to a massive 48 bits. However, a 24-bit machine will faultlessly perform all office functions.
D. Dynamic Range
Call it density range or optical density (OD); dynamic range refers to the ability of a scanner to record a variety of tones in a document. Often, scanning devices come on a logarithmic scale from 0 to 4.
A range of 0 symbolizes perfect white, while a scale of 4 symbolizes perfect black. Loosely defined, optical density stands for the brightest and darkest recordings that a machine can capture.
Scanners designed for mainstream use may not have any dynamic range ratings. However, if you are looking for a professional device, then you should consider a scanning tool with an average of 3.0 OD rating.
e. Scanning Speed
Scanning speed comes in to focus when shopping for the best scanners for OCR. Look, how often do you intend to use the machine, and for what quantities of work? Well, it's needless worrying about this factor if your mission will involve using the device to scan a few pieces of documents.
f. Connection Interface
Just like with other digital office machines, connectivity is an important consideration to look for. What's the mode of data transfer? Is the transfer of data and images efficient?
The most common mode of connectivity for scanners is USB or SCSI. Opt for a device whose connection interface is both easy to use and has a remarkable transfer speed.
Digitizing business and office operations is now easy. Technological advancements have seen unimaginable improvements in the scanning software. Notably, aided by OCR technology, scanners now offer more than mere recreation of images to the production of searchable, editable files from a variety of document sizes.
However, not all scanning machines will meet all your digital needs. Every scanner model comes with unique features and specifications that you will have to consider. So, only the best scanner with OCR has the right qualities to meet your needs.