Looking for the best bowling ball for straight bowlers? Well, you’re in luck. Because this guide will cover things to know about straight bowling balls. And you’ll love the fact there are fewer specifics to consider while choosing a straight ball than hook balls.
At the end of the article, we’ll also have some bowling tips for straight bowlers. Grab a cup of coffee and keep reading.
list of Bowling Ball For Straight Bowlers
top Bowling Ball For Straight Throw Comparison Chart
Pyramid Path Bowling Ball
Factory Finish Polish
Columbia 300 Nitrous
Two-Piece Nitrous Core
500/2000 Abralon Polished W/Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish
Ebonite Maxim Northern Lights
800/800/1000/2000 Abralon TM Polished w/Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish
Motiv Venom Shock
5500-Grit Factory Finish
Ebonite Maxim Captain Odyssey
800/1000/2000/2000 Abralon W/Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish
Brunswick TZone Ocean Reef
Crown factory shine
Columbia 300 White Dot
Pancake Weight Block
three exciting colors
Brunswick Glow Viz-A-Ball
Compound Single Buff
Limited Edition Graphics
High Gloss Polish
Hammer Black Widow Spare
2000 Abralon with Powerhouse factory finish polish
Bowling Ball For Straight Bowlers Reviews
1. Pyramid Path Bowling Ball | Best Rated Bowling Ball
Are you in search of a bowling ball that will suit almost anyone regardless of their skill level? Pyramid Path is here to the rescue as this ball is a "jack of all trades" of bowling balls.
At this price point, this is the best bowling ball under 100 while not sacrificing the quality. Hitting perfect straight shots is easier than ever as this ball has a Coverstock made of polyester and will be of great help for your spare game.
It is quite usual not to heed any attention towards the material that a product utilizes. But when it comes to bowling balls, you should. Because the ball performs differently depending on the material and it will affect your bowling experience.
While picking up a ball as a beginner, you will often find yourself surrounded by thoughts of whether the ball is perfect for you or not. The polyester material used in Pyramid Path ultimately makes it possible for bowlers of all ages to carry it effortlessly and score perfect straight shots.
Are you the one who cares about the visual quality of the products that you use? You will be amazed to know that this ball comes in 12 different designs and colors, including Aqua Silver, Lime Green, and Emerald. Just grab the one you prefer and start your bowling experience without having second thoughts.
1. The Coverstock is made of polyester offering perfect straight shots.
2. Features 12 different yet visually pleasing colors.
3. Helps the bowler throw straight shots.
4. Bowlers of all skill levels will find this ball pleasing to bowl with.
2. Columbia 300 Nitrous |Best Backend Bowling Ball
If you are a beginner, then getting control over the ball is important. The Columbia 300 Nitrous Bowling Ball has two symmetrical cores that adjust the balance of the ball very effectively. It provides medium and consistent motion in the lane and makes a straight hit on the bowling pins.
The core and coverstock are designed to gain additional advantages for light and medium oil lane motion. The two symmetrical cores increase the balls hitting power. The reactive resin 500 grit polished coverstock is wrapped with boost/R cover that contributes to perfect grip and amazing back end reaction.
There are various weight choices from 10 to 16 pounds. The weights contribute to the ball's speed. The more the weight, the faster the ball can go. The design remains the same and weight is distributed in the same proportion so that you can maintain the balance with any one of them.
The product comes from the company undrilled so you can customize according to your preferences. There are two cores which imply enough space for drilling. A professional driller is recommended in that case. Also, don’t forget to take your finger measurement.
2.55 intermediate differentials are used in the ball to adjust the spinning capability with the speed. Your throw will be quicker than anyone else in the room. It will also make sure yours is the best when it comes to style.
1. Two symmetrical cores make it well balanced.
2. Reactive resin 500 grit polished coverstock.
3. Different color and weight choices.
4. Great durability of the ball.
5. The undrilled ball can be customized.
3. Ebonite Maxim Northern Lights Bowling Ball | Best Bowling Ball For League Play
Bowling is a game of fun and relaxation. Most of us do it in our leisure time as a means to get away from all the stress of our everyday life and spend some quality time with our friends.
While we are at it, some people make this game way more stylish than the others, did you notice?
Well, maybe they got some talent or maybe they just got a FLASHY ball that makes any technique look a lot cooler under the right light!
Our next item on the list brings you a similar item, which is known as, Ebonite Maxim Northern Lights Bowling Ball. To fully understand the magic of this ball, wait till the next time you get invited to a Glow-N-Bowl event!
Once the light goes off and the blacklight gets turned on, this Northern Lights Bowling Ball starts to look more intense, as if a glow is coming out of it! The secret lies in its fluorescent colors, which makes it extra-special for this type of event.
Exciting, isn’t it? Perfect way to tune in right with the theme and show off these magical balls of lights to the rest of the onlookers! By the way, these balls still look great under any normal light as well.
Made with polyester coverstock and pancake core material, Ebonite helps you get into the right track quite easily. If you are a fan of straight throws instead of curved ones, then this one will NOT disappoint you for sure!
1. It’s made with fluorescent color that catches the eyes of the onlookers.
2. The pancake core helps the newcomers pick up the moves easily.
3. It has a wide variety of weights that’s even perfect for kids.
4. It’s suitable for drier lanes and sparse shooting.
5. The hard polyester coverstock makes it durable.
4. Motiv Venom Shock Bowling Ball Review | Best Bowling Ball For Down And In Shot
Venom bowling ball reviews are mostly praises from satisfied users. The ball features well in light to medium oil conditions. Being covered by Turmoil MFS reactive coverstock, this ball delivers amazing traction, thus suitable for straight bowlers.
The ball has a lovable and attractive outlook. Both beginner and professional players will find the ball easily controllable. The core is made of top gear, weight block, which gives the user a very stable performance.
The ball is shiny as well. The 5500-grit LSP factory finish gives the ball a smooth appearance. It initiates a quicker reaction on the lane. If you want a better reaction to shocks, you can polish off the grit.
1. It has a light hook, but can be used for straight shots as well.
2. The reactive hybrid coverstock responds well to friction.
3. Two-handed bowlers will find Venom convenient.
4. Not too shaky, easy to control.
5. 5500-grit factory finish gives a smooth appearance.
5. Ebonite Maxim Captain Odyssey Bowling Ball | Best Bowling Ball For Slow Speed
When was the last time you took a day off just for yourself and indulge in some fun activities?
If you are a parent and have a challenging career at the same time, then most probably you don’t even remember when you spent a relaxed, fun-filled day or even an evening for that matter!
Here’s a crazy idea.
Plan a date on a bowling alley with your significant other and tag your kid along! Bowling alley is a classic place for a family night out. And who knows? Your kid might even surprise you if you let him throw the Ebonite Maxim Captain Odyssey Bowling Ball!
There’s a reason why Captain Odyssey might keep your kid busy while you get to spend a chilled evening with your partner.
This bowling ball comes in a lot of size variations that range from 6 to 16 pounds. As soon as your child hits the 3-year old mark, he/she should be able to handle the lightest ball and gradually work its way to the heavier ones.
Another big advantage of this Ebonite Maxim is that it has an eye-catching design pattern that glows under the Black Light and makes it look a mystical object! It’s perfect for a Glow-N-Bowl or a birthday party event.
The polyester coverstock on this ball gives a fair chance to any beginners and tends to last long without being all torn or worn out. With a pancake core weight block, Maxim gives its users the ultimate control over its movement and works as an excellent spare ball.
1. Ebonite provides weight options that range from 6 to 16 pounds.
2. It lights up under the blacklight and creates a fun effect.
3. It’s a great spare ball that excels in throwing straight shots.
4. Maxim allows the user to control the movement quite easily.
5. The polyester coverstock is durable and lasts for a long time.
6. Brunswick TZone Ocean Reef | Best Bowling Ball For Two Handed Bowlers
Often times we encounter some awkward situations in our life.
Suppose, a friend or a dear colleague of yours is getting a little bit on the heavier side day by day. What do you do in this type of situation?
Instead of calling them “FAT” or nagging them to hit the gym soon, why not try a different approach like gifting them a Brunswick TZone Ocean Reef Bowling Ball in a nice package and letting them know you are free this weekend and up for a bowling match?
It’s a clever idea and a great initiative which will help your friend shed some pounds pretty soon!
The Tzone Ocean edition is actually awesome for beginners and it comes with a reasonable price tag. Made from polyester coverstock, this ball is bound to give anyone a confidence boost by behaving well on the lane, creating minimal friction and overall improving the performance of a newcomer.
Worried about whether this ball is the right fit for your fingers?
Well, since it doesn’t come pre-drilled, you get the option to get it customized to the perfect size so that you get a good grip on it while throwing.
Encased by the coverstock, there lies the newly-improved bullet core, which produces enough torque to get the pins rolling on the floor effectively.
In short, if you want to know how it feels like to own a ball that doesn’t wobble much, yet spins nicely, then the Ocean Reef might be the one you should settle for!
1. It’s a great holiday gift for any beginner.
2. The polyester coverstock allows you to gain total control of the lane.
3. You have the option to get the ball drilled according to your preference.
4. Different weight options that range from 6 to 16 pounds are available.
5. It is suitable for people who love throwing straight shots.
7. Columbia 300 White Dot Bowling Ball Review | Best Polyester Bowling Ball
Columbia 300 has a long line of finest bowling balls. One of edition for straight bowlers is the White Dot. The ball is a great straight throw ball and great for beginners to learn the trade. It glides over the lane like a knife on butter.
You’ll instantly hook to the multiple color scheme when you see the ball for the first time. The polyester coverstock is not only shiny and glossy, but it also soothes the eyes as well. But more importantly, it doesn’t overreact on drier lanes.
The ball comes with a wide range of weight. The available weights are 6 pounds and 8-15 pounds. Columbia 300 White Dot offers twelve different attractive colors for the users.
The pancake core helps the thrower make stable straight shots. The core is known for its capability to yield standard shots, depending less on the user expertise. This gives novice bowlers a small margin of error.
1. Stable and forgiving pancake core.
2. Polyester coverstock features well in dry lanes.
3. Eight color variations to choose from.
4. Attractive design, a great spare ball.
5. Accurate shot, suitable for straight throwers.
8. Brunswick Lizard Eye Glow Viz-A-Ball Review | Best Bowling Ball For Average Bowler
The lizard eye imprinted on this ball looks both thrilling and chilling. Graphics ball lovers will love the fact that the ball glows under black light. But it’s not all about looking attractive.
This ball is recommended for average players who are still struggling with 10 pins. But with practice, you will score 20 pins with this very same ball. This ball was primarily intended for recreational bowlers, but it has more action to this.
The coverstock is made of top quality plastic. Don’t be skeptical, it comes at a cheap price. The ball has a seam where two halves meet. The finishing was done by applying a compound single buff.
As we said, the 360-degree graphics will leave you amazed at first glance. Coming with 6-16 pounds weight options, you’ll find this ball suitable for your kids, and you of course.
1. Suitable for all lane conditions.
2. Limited 360-degree graphics edition.
3. Made of high-quality plastic as a spare ball.
4. Compound single buff gives the ball a shiny look.
5. Brunswick Viz-A-Ball glows under black light.
What Makes Them The Best Straight Bowling Balls?
Selecting a ball for hook players include many considerations, RG, coverstock, core, rev rate. For straight bowlers, the process is rather easy. You mostly have to focus on the coverstock.
Straight bowlers who come across oily lanes a lot needs to use a ball with an aggressive coverstock. These balls can be controlled easily and get great traction on the surface. Bowling balls like Motiv Venom will serve you well on oily lanes.
Bowlers who encounter dry lanes more frequently should opt for stiff, pearl coverstock. This coverstock doesn’t overreact on the lane and conserves energy up until hitting the pins. Brunswick Lizard and Columbia 3000 are the balls that’ll work well on dry surfaces.
Bowling Straight Ball Vs Hook
It’s important that you know the difference between straight bowling and hook. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking straight bowling is damn easy.
Well, it is when you have some experience, but there’s a learning curve associated before that.
Let’s see how straight shots and hooks shots are different-
1. Straight Shots
Straight shots are preferred by players who like to hit the pins with force. This is an easier shot to learn for beginners compared to hook shots.
That’s because most of the beginners start at dry lanes when bowling lanes are free in the later part of a day or after a tournament. Dry lanes don’t avail much curving, thus it’s easier to go for a straight shot.
For straight throws, you have to swing your arm like a pendulum and make the shot. The trajectory isn’t that much altered. Problem to this approach is you might miss one pin or two since there is less domino effect associated.
2. Hook Shots
Hook shot simply means curving the ball. They're more difficult to learn than straight shots, but it’ll yield more result. Don’t let that disappoint you, because every hook bowler started off as a straight bowler.
Hooks shots allow more control over the ball, but learning the proper grip first is important. Since the ball is hitting the pins at an angle, it’s possible to score better.
Straight Ball Bowling Tips | Where To Aim When Bowling A Straight Ball
1. Know where to where to aim when bowling a straight ball and stand for an accurate throw. Stand right ahead of the lane and approach the lane moving straight toward it.
2. Keep your eyes focused on the pins, keep your bowling hand elbow on a 90-degree angle.
3. You grip should be strong, but that hardly means it should be tightened. Keep the arm relaxed, avoid rotating your arm and fingers.
4. There are three ways you can grip a ball. Conventional, semi-fingertip and fingertip. Straight bowlers should opt for conventional.
5. Insert your middle finger at the second joint and keep other fingers as spread as you can.
6. Keep your face, body and shoulders aligned and facing towards the pins. As you approach the lane, angle your shoulder and arm a bit depending on which hand you use (right/left). It’ll help you throw the ball at a straight line.
At first sight, bowling might look easy. I mean, what’s more to it than throwing the ball and toppling some pins, right? But you’ll be amazed to see how much practice it needs to perfect the play.
You’ll also need suitable balls to support your gameplay. Since you’ll be starting with straight shots, you’ll need the best bowling ball for straight throw. Hopefully, the balls we suggest will be able to read your intention well and perform as you anticipated.