In this modern era, everything is colorful. From a huge billboard hanging beside the road to your cell phone screen, everything is polychromatic.
People, nowadays, do not get surprised when they see anything with multi-color. Instead, they take notice when the color is missing. This is one of the reasons behind monochrome photography’s popularity.
Black and white photographers need to do more work than color photographers. B&W photographers cannot hide their work behind vivid colors and filters. Everything needs to be perfect to make a flawless B&W image. Also, you need to think more when it comes to printing a B&W image.
Printing black and white image can be time-consuming, and you may find it difficult to get the finest output. However, your printing issue can be resolved if you have the best black and white photo printer.
list of top Black and White Photo Printer
Black and White Photo Printer Reviews
1. HP Envy 4520 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer | Best Printer for Black And White Printing
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, wireless printing, AirPrint, two-sided duplex printing, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready so you'll never run out of ink, and more
- Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, easily print from your iPhone with AirPrint, print even without a network using Wireless Direct...
Inkjet technology has been used in this all in all printer. Though Envy 4520 is capable of printing, copying, and scanning, it is a very compact printer. This device is surprisingly affordable while keeping most of the important features.
You can easily set up this printer. The touch screen will guide you while doing so. It’s responsive to the touch screen. You can operate the fax and scanning function with the screen very easily.
HP has made the look of ENVY 4520 very attractive. They have included a touchscreen decked with digital buttons. There is also one physical button. This printer needs a long output tray as the device is relatively small. However, there is no USB port in this machine.
This envy printer’s graphic printing quality is excellent. You will see no sign of pixelation even when inspecting it with a microscope. This device’s photo printing is top-notch as well, although that’s not comparable with a dedicated photo printer.
However, the letter printing is the weakest point of this printer. The edge of the letters seems spiky, and you will notice it more if you print letters in a small font. Thus, you should not use this printer for something presentable like a CV or resume.
If you need the device to be completely soundless when printing, you can utilize the quiet mode. Though this system slows down the machine, the quality remains the same.
If you want to print from your tablet or smartphone, you need to install the HP ePrint app. You will need the AirPrint app if you want to use from an iPhone.
1. This Envy printer delivers 8 PPM scanning speed in black.
2. Envy 4520’s printing speed is 7.5 CPM in black.
3. The printer has 20 PPM draft print speed in black.
4. Works with MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android.
5. This device uses inkjet technology.
2. Canon PIXMA Pro-100 Wireless Color Professional Inkjet Printer| Best Black And White Printer For Home Use
- 8 Dye based inks for amazing gradients and color, 3 of which are dedicated grayscale inks for beautiful black & white prints
- The Optimum Image Generating System reproduces colors as you intend them by logically selecting the optimum ink combination and placement. Output tray capacity auto sheet feeder: 150 sheets of plain...
Canon Pixma Pro 100 is a great choice for beginners. This is one of the entry-level printers of Canon. While this machine is cheap, it does not compromise its quality. The pro-100 comes with a lot of features that attract amateur users.
Pixma Pro-100 will satisfy your need for printing both small and large photo sizes. The machine can print from photo size to A3+ size. The 4800 x 2400 resolution is perfect for printing photos as well. Overall, the output of this gadget is satisfactory for any level user.
The device is an eight-ink printer, and all are dye-based. Though pigment-based ink lasts long, Canon assures that their ink can last up to 90 to 100 years.
Another important feature is that among the eight inks, 3 inks are only for grayscale ink. That means if you up for printing black and white images, this printer is your solution.
You can use both photo paper and fine art paper in Pro-100. The device has 2 paper feeders, one is at the top and another one is at the back. In the top feeder, you can put 25% of a paper ream whereas the back feeder is for thick and harder-to-bend papers. You can only put one paper at a time in the back feeder.
You can connect the Pixma pro-100 through WiFi or USB. You will be able to print directly from your camera or smartphone. You will need the Canon Easy-PhotoPrint app installed on your smartphone for direct printing.
Also, you need to have your image in the internal storage of your smartphone. You can print your image thorough PC too.
1. Pro-100’s printing resolution is 4800 x 2400 DPI.
2. The printer has 2 paper feeders.
3. Three dedicated grayscale ink for black and white printing.
4. Supports both USB and WiFi connection.
5. Pixma Pro-100 uses inkjet technology.
3. Canon TS9120 Wireless All-In-One Printer| Best Canon Printer for Black and White Photos
- Inspire your creativity with prints that will impress; From stunning photographs to detailed documents, put the 6 color individual ink system to work and never compromise on speed or quality
- Enjoy the simplicity of connecting your smartphone, tablet and all your favorite devices with ease; Print hassle free whether from the cloud, through Bluetooth, from social media or even on the go
Canon TS9120 is perfect for home use as it is a compact printer. You will be satisfied with the design as well. The device is very easy to set up. You will get a manual when you open the box.
This gadget comes with a CD as well where you will get all the necessary software. Also, the manual contains links to all the software.
TS9120 has a blue ink tank instead of a dedicated gray ink tank. Since it is not a dedicated black and white printer, you may think that you will not be satisfied with the B&W printing. But I can assure you that the quality of the output will not disappoint you.
The image print quality is very smooth. The device prints without compromising any detail. When you print letters with the TS9120, you will notice that the edge of the letters is very sharp. However, the sharpness kind of reduces when you inspect closely.
You will find the duplexer system in this printer. You will be amazed to see that the printing quality does not debase when you use the duplexer. The print resolution of this device is up to 4800 x 1200 DPI.
The speed of the printer is comparatively slow. Since Canon TS9120 can print both text and image, it has sacrificed the speed for quality. This issue would mean much to you if you are looking for a printer that can print both text and images.
The touch screen in this gadget has impressed me. There is no physical button on the printer. So, you will have to control your machine form the screen. Sometimes people do not prefer the touch screen as it can be less responsive. But in this device, the screen works perfectly.
The printer’s operating cost can be an issue for you. This is the only area where this device gets one of the lowest scores. For Black and white letter printing, you have to spend a little bit more. So, if you are planning to print hundreds of text pages every month, you should go for a different printer.
1. TS9120’s printing resolution is 4800 x 1200 DPI.
2. The best small black and white printer with inkjet technology.
3. The device has a duplexer facility and you can copy and scan as well.
4. Supports both SD card and WiFi connection.
5. The printer has 5 inches touch screen.
4. HP Officejet Pro 8720 All-In-One Wireless Printer | dedicated black and white photo printer
- Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, wireless printing, AirPrint, two-sided duplex printing, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready so you'll never run out of ink.
- Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, easily print from your iPhone or iPad with AirPrint, print even without a network using Wireless...
This all in all printer is capable of printing, copying, scanning, and faxing. It’s large and has adequate features for home use. The printing speed is comparatively fast, and you can take advantage of the duplex system. The touch screen is 4.3 inches and very comfortable to use.
You have to open the paper tray from the front. The paper tray can hold up to 250 pages. The output tray holds up to 150 pages. This device supports paper from envelope to legal size.
Since there is only one paper feed, whenever you change the paper type, you have to adjust it properly. For black printing, this device can print 24 pages per minute.
The quality of graphic printing is good. Sharp edges and rich color make the graphic printing lively.
Unfortunately, this printer’s letter printing quality is worse than photo printing. The output is not sharp, particularly the italic letters. Most of the time you will find the edge of the letters spikey and sometimes spotty. Not that the printing quality is awful, but you’d expect better from a printer like this.
Officejet Pro 8720’s scanning quality is top-notch. ADF can hold up to 50 pages and scan the double side. The scanner can scan ten sides in a minute. Fax quality is also good. The machine can store 100 pages in memory.
This Officejet pro has a standard connectivity system. It supports NFC, Wi-Fi, USB. With HP smart mobile app, you will be able to print directly from your smartphone. If you use an iPhone, then you need to install Apple AirPrint on your phone.
1. This printer’s printing resolution is 4800 x 1200 DPI.
2. Officejet Pro 8720 uses inkjet technology.
3. It has the duplexer facility and you can copy, scan and fax as well.
4. The maximum scan resolution is 1200 x 1200 DPI.
5. The printer has a 4.3 inches touch screen.
5. Canon Selphy CP1200 Black Wireless Color Photo Printer | best inkjet printer for black and white photography
- Dedicated Wi-Fi button to easily connect to and Print from your Wireless network.
- Airprint enabled! Print wirelessly and effortlessly from your Compatible iPhone, iPad; 47 seconds for borderless 4 x 6" photo or iPod touch.
If you need to print when you are outside, then you want to have Selphy CP1200. The printing quality of this gadget is excellent. This printer can print a maximum 4x6 inches borderless photo. You can print from this device using a smartphone, pc, memory card or even thumb drive.
This Selphy printer is a compact machine. It has a dimension of 7.1 x 5.4 x 2.5 inches and the weight is around 2 pounds. The printer has a 7-inch input tray that can hold 18 pages. You need to buy a special tray if you want to print less than 4x6 inches card.
CP1200 is very easy to setup. You just have to add a paper tray and ink holder. A USB port is available to connect the printer though you have to buy the cable. You can connect the printer through Wi-Fi as well.
You will need Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy app if you want to print from android. This printer is AirPrint compatible. So, you can print from iOS as well.
This Selphy printer needs 53 seconds to print a 4x6 photo. So, we can say that the printing speed is slow. However, there is a reason behind this slow speed.
Dye-sublimation technology has been used in this printer, and it requires four passes to print. Three passes for three colors (red, yellow, cyan), and the last pass is for adding the coating to protect the print.
Though the printing speed is slow, when you see the final print, you will forget about the speed. The output quality is exquisite. This device’s resolution is 300 x300 DPI, and the result is sharp and accurate.
1. This printer’s printing resolution is 300 x 300 DPI.
2. It uses dye-sublimation thermal-transfer technology.
3. It needs 53 seconds to print a 4x6 photo.
4. The maximum scan resolution is 1200 x 1200 DPI.
5. The printer’s dimension is 7.1 x 5.4 x 2.5 inches.
Best Photo Printer For Black And White Prints Buying Guide
You may face a lot of issues while printing a black and white image. Your printer can leak ink, you can get a tint of undesired color in your image. It is necessary to work with the right technologies to get the desired result.
Sharpness is one of the most important things in black and white photography, and even some good quality printer may be unable to give you that feature. So, you should not settle for a good quality printer. You need to buy the best photo printer for black and white photography to get the ultimate output.
There are many printers in the market, and it can be difficult to know what you need. Below, we have tried to give you some guidelines to make the process easier.
If you want to print a black and white image, you need a printer that uses at least three or four gray and black ink holders. This quantity of holder ensures the true quality of the picture. The more advanced your printer is, the more specific the number of inkpots will be that is needed to print your image.
The Black and White printer utilizes gray and black ink holders as well as matte and gloss. The device uses these colors to get grayscale hue.
Sometimes, you will need to create a particular type of darkroom look. For that, you have to make use of several grayscale colors. You will be able to do this very easily if you have the best printer for black white photography.
Different types of inks have different qualities. Pigment-based ink lasts longer. Also, it can survive sunlight and different environmental threat better than other types of ink. Some shutterbugs use special fluid color in their normal printer to fulfill their needs.
Paper Types and Size
Do you know that the standard of a paper decides your photo printing quality? High-class papers produce high-quality matte and gloss finishing. It creates a clear effect when it contacts with ink.
Papers that are used in the museum are acid-free. This type of paper is made in a specific way so that it can last for years. Fine arts paper like Epson velvet is an example of a museum standard paper.
Many photographers want to show their work in a gallery. Hence, they need to print their work in a large paper. Therefore, if you need to print in large printing sheets, you have to check whether the device has the capacity.
Some printers do not print separate papers. This type of printers is professional and only prints from a roll of sheets. So, before buying a printing device, you have to ensure that your printer meets your needs.
Driver and Software
People often underestimate printer drivers and software. A driver works as a channel. It helps interpret data from your printing device and image editing software. For example, Raster Image Processors (RIPs) is a special driver. By using this driver, photographers can have extra control over their images.
Sometimes you need to give an effect like dramatic shadowing to your image. RIPs can help you in that case, but you have to fine-tune it. Otherwise, you may not be able to manage the color density to get the desired effect.
Some RIPs like the QuadTone Rip and the Imageprint RIP can reduce unattractive color and provide an illuminant metamerism effect.
However, this driver has a negative side as well. It can cost too much to get the right RIP. Sometimes, the cost can be the same as the printer or even more.
When you use a printer for both colorful and B&W printing, you need to clean the printer head before printing a B&W image. Otherwise, it will leak colored ink. With a designated B&W printer, you don’t need to clean your printer head. It will save your precious time.
If most of your work is in black and white or you print a large number of black and white images daily, it is better to purchase a designated B&W photo printer. Always try to buy the best black white photo printer to get the best quality printing.